In Melbourne, natural stone suppliers provide premium and good quality stones that can be used efficiently, in both, residency and commercial premises. Many types of stones are used for various applications like granite pavers, landscape curbing, interior lobbies, kitchen countertops & benchtops and many more. Some of the other popular applications include wall cladding, flooring- in kitchens, bathrooms, etc.
In Melbourne, bluestone pavers and other natural stone products are available in various shapes, sizes, and colours. Although the appearance of the stone depends mainly on its natural look, the possibility of customising its overall look can give one a natural finish with many different options, or as per choice.
Type of Natural Stones and Finishes
There are many different types of natural stones available in the market of Melbourne, limestone slab and others:
Listed here are some of the natural stones and popular finishes that can be used for various applications like Travertine pavers in Melbourne:
- Natural Split: One of the main features of natural stones is that they offer a natural look and feel. One of the popular natural finishes is the natural split look, where the natural stone used for the purpose of interior decorations that appears to be split in just one stone. This type of stone will usually require sealing to help protect it from various elements.
- Sandblasted: The sandblasted finish is a very popular one and is useful for various applications, especially on a flooring surface. One of the main characteristics of this type of stone is that it is slip-resistant, making it ideal to use in and around a pool. The process of achieving a sandblasted finish is by blasting the stone several times with an air gun that contains silica sand (meant for use as an abrasive agent).
- Tumbled: This is an aesthetically appealing finish that creates the effect of a softer surface and tumbled edges. It also provides an aging effect when installed. Some of the popular natural stones like marble, limestone, travertine, etc. are used to create the tumbled finish and bring warmth and character to the place where it is installed.
- Flamed or Thermal: In the case where the stone is exposed to high temperature like that of a flame, it gives a flamed or thermal finish. This is a good method of changing the natural colour of the stone to give it rough characteristics. This type of natural stone finish is beneficial in providing an anti-slip surface and often used for outdoor paving.
- Acid Washed: This is a popular finish that is achieved by placing corrosive chemicals on the surface of the stone. The “Acid Washed” is achieved when the chemicals burn through the stone’s surface to give it a natural rustic look and feel. This type of finish ensures the scratches that occur over some time are not visible.
- Sawed finish or sawn: As the name suggests, this type of finish gives the effect of the stone being sawed in half or cut by a blade. It provides an aesthetic, textured, and irregular surface that will have a rough feel. This type of finish is ideal for external applications like stone pavers in Melbourne, walkways, driveways, patios, steps, etc.
- Honed: This is a consistent and smooth surface which is non-reflective that is not glossy. This type of finish will give the stone a matte finish and is useful for various applications.
- Polished: A polished finish is quite popular with natural stone, and the method of obtaining this is to ensure the stone undergoes treatment with abrasives until it is glossy and mirror-like. This type of finish will boost the overall resistance of the stone and is best suited for indoor applications, including walls, bench-tops, counter-tops, etc.
There are many different types of natural stone products available in various finishes. The type of finish and stone will usually dictate the application. It is best to contact the stone suppliers in Melbourne to find the perfect stone for your application.